Saturday, September 1, 2012

Boba 3G (initial impressions)

When I was pregnant, I was really excited to babywear - a practice mothers use lots in Africa (and all over the world, too) to A. keep baby close to them, and B. actually get things done during the day!
It's not-so-much the norm in North America, but there is definitely a market for baby carriers out there which is ever increasing as it becomes more popular.

I wanted to babywear for the same reasons specified above. It fits right in with the attachment parenting philosophy myself and my partner follow (for the most part anyway - we're not diehards about it in some circumstances). Plus, there are sooo many benefits to it. A worn baby = a baby who is more often in the quiet alert state = great for brain development.

As my midwife and doulas would say, 9 months in the womb, 9 months on you (or something to that effect, anyway... Or is it affect? I've never been clear on that). Basically, babies want to be close to you for many months after birth. I'm thinking this was a lot easier when we all had fur and baby could just hold on to your back, but unless you're a Mama as hairy as Robin Williams, you kind of need another option...

Enter: Babywearing. For Christmas, when I was still pregnant, I was given a a Soft Structured Carrier (SSC) by the in-laws. Considering it's just a cheapie on the market, it was pretty decent. It was our gateway-drug for us on to more "hardcore" carriers.

I first purchased the Cuddly Wrap, mostly because I could get it for a discount price if you buy it the same day you have a prenatal massage (win win!). And, I thought it would be the only carrier I would ever purchase (ha!).

I started wearing it with her when she was 6 weeks old. While I loved the idea of this stretchy, hippy-looking wrap, there were aspects I didn't like. It took a while to tie properly, often with many adjustments to get it just right (definitely a learning curve on this one). It also got very warm to wear when you were out in the sun (even though the company says its "breathable fabric keeps you cool"... Not!).

After several hours of research and staring/awing at photos, I decided on the Boba 3G SSC in the kangaroo print. I decided on this one over the similar (and approx. same priced) Ergo, Beco, etc. for the following reasons:

-higher back than other SSCs, better for toddlers
-able to be used with newborns without the purchase of any additional insert
-the Boba pack, a special pack with many pockets that can clip onto the carrier, transforming it into a front/backpack or messenger bag when clipped to the side. Although discontinued, they are still "out there" for purchase and come in all the different Boba patterns.
-removable foot straps (again good for optimal feet positioning of toddlers).
-biggest waist strap range on the market, ideal for different-sized partners or if different-sized relatives babywear).

After having it for a couple of weeks now, I wanted to provide a brief review:

I love the pattern and the ease of putting it on. It is easy to do in a snap (literally! Just two buckles...) once you've adjusted it to your own proportions. The buckle around your waist makes the carrier feel snug and secure, and the buckle on the arm loops is one you can slide up or down, which makes it easy to reach back and undo yourself. Although my Bean is currently too young for the back carry in the Boba, I know I will be able to do it myself with a few practice tries. I also can tell she will really enjoy being on my back and able to look around. Unlike the Cuddly Wrap, I can have her in the Boba and run around the house furiously cleaning and not get very warm at all.

A couple cons... I've been assured this will not be an issue when Bean is bigger, but because the seat of the carrier is so wide (again, great for long-term Babywearers who want to wear their toddler), the edges of it tend to dig into her thighs a bit. It's not a big deal, but requires some thought about outfits as I make sure she is wearing pants if she will be in the Boba for periods longer than 10 minutes or so.

The biggest disadvantage is the type of fabric. We have three hairy fur-babies, and let me tell you... The Boba attracts hair like crazy. Even with careful hanging of the carrier, I still need to take the lint roller to it aggressively every couple of days. If you've got no pets, no problem, but if you can't stand a hairy-looking carrier, this might not be the carrier for you.

I plan to update this review once we've become more accustomed to it and to the back carry, and yes, I plan to purchase more carriers still (because Boba can't do hip carries, and I pretty much just can't stop!).

No comments:

Post a Comment