Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Moolah $$

I've never been a "big spender", especially on myself. I've never been into buying super name-brand clothing, or fancy shoes, or makeup, manicures, haircuts, etc. I currently have one pair of flip flops, one pair of sneakers, and one pair of winter boots. To me, shoes are too expensive if they are more than $30 (and even $30 is pushing it). I sooo don't replace my makeup every six months like I'm supposed to.

And it's not just because I am often at odds with the material girl culture where women are required to spend, spend, spend, to look good, good, good. Like the great Ani DiFranco sings, "I had to leave the house of fashion, go forth naked from its doors. 'Cuz women should be allies, and not competitors". Brilliant. Anyway, it's not just that, but also that I have a hard time justifying a purchase if it's just extravagance, and serves no other real purpose than vanity. So in my adult life, the purchases I've "splurged" on, or the ones I've been most excited about, have been things that I view as needed, or productive in some way- such as things for the house, like new paint, bed sets, lamps, etc.

Since becoming a parent not long ago to "bean" (what I'll call her for now on here), I've been really enjoying spending money on things for her, especially when I can get a good deal. I've found things like a Bumbo, jumperoo, playmats, etc. all for 50% off the new price or more. Although more rarely, I will also buy things new. More expensive things. Things that are more than my (and my husband's) yearly shoe budget combined. (actually... So far it's only been ONE expensive new thing, but you get the idea...)

Recently, It's been hinted by some that I should not be spending so much money on her. This bothers me.

This bothers me because of a few different reasons. Such as that the ones doing the "hinting" aren't really in a great position to judge- people that either A. Spend more on material things for themselves than I know they can afford to, leading to financial debt, or B. people who can actually afford the material things, but could definitely use putting the money into other more important areas

However, this is only my judgement of what classifies as "important areas", or "trivial materials". That is their business and while I might not personally agree with where their money goes, or think it's needed or the best use for it, I will not suggest to them to spend their money otherwise based upon my opinion.

Yes, I am on a limited income while on mat leave (and even while not on mat leave). Yes, I have bills to pay and occasionally fall behind on them (although this has most often been because of government/workplace error and not due to personal financial mismanagement).

However, that's my prerogative if I want to spend what disposable income I have on things for my daughter, or on financial savings for my daughter. Products that will encourage her healthy development, help give her joy, or help us to bond even closer. I would rather do this than spend the money on makeup or fashion.... And even hydro. I don't mind being a month late and paying the 2% interest on that bill. It can wait. Or paying a late fee on tuition and spacing out the payments over the course of the semester. What matters is that I am doing what I believe to be right for my family.

You spend your money the way you want to, and I'll spend it the way I want to. Please don't criticize me when you see me or Bean enjoying a luxurious baby item. I will have fun reveling in her joy, and my own joy at making parenting one smidgen more comfy, while I rock my split ends-laden hair and dirty $4 flip flops I purchased from Superstore last summer..

1 comment:

  1. Baby Bean deserves the best! Don't let anyone tell you how to spend the money YOU make!! :)

    ReplyDelete