Sunday, August 12, 2012

Introduction (A.K.A. why the weird blog name?)

"I'm cookie dough. I'm not done baking. I'm not finished becoming who ever the hell it is I'm gonna turn out to be. I make it through this, and the next thing, and the next thing, and maybe one day, I turn around and realize I'm ready. I'm cookies. And then, you know, if I want someone to eat m- or enjoy warm, delicious, cookie me, then that's fine. That'll be then. When I'm done." ---Buffy Summers

Yes, that quote is attributed correctly. That beautiful quote, which also happens to contain a joke about cunnilingus, is from the final episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It inspired the title of this blog.

When I was little, I thought that adults were possessing of all knowledge. I'm sure many kids felt the same. I thought that there would be a certain point that I would hit where I would have all that knowledge, and be one of these perfect adults that existed around me. It wasn't until I started growing up, and learning more about the "flaws" these adults had (that they were really just human, and always erring, changing, growing, and erring again), and hearing this quote live as a teenager in my parent's basement during a Buffy-finale viewing party, that I began to realize there would be no such point. Like the heroine of the series, I was not "done baking". I was not finished becoming who ever the hell it is I was gonna turn out to be. At 25, I'm still not done baking. And, I'm not sure I will ever become cookies, but I'm sure as hell going to enjoy the slow and steady baking along the way.

This blog will focus on the things I typically obsess over on a daily basis- namely, topics such as:

-new mommy-hood (including my much-gushing over my new daughter, products for her that make my heart happy, and info and reflections on different parenting philosophies);
-feminism (which, in my opinion, encompasses most other things I believe in and attitudes I hold dear, including being gay and diversity positive, body-loving, intactivist(ish), anti-colonialist, and more...);
-research on said topics above (because I was born a social scientist and ADORE all things sex/gender/feminist/parenting research); and
-personal relationships.

It is because of the last bullet point that this blog, as of right now, will be private and/or (hopefully) anonymous-ish. I don't want any creepy strangers stalking my blog right now, or worse, certain people I know in real life doing the same thing. Oh, and I know it happens, because I admit to being one of those creepy stalkers. It's not that my intent is creepy, but it's just very interesting to read the innermost thoughts of people I know well and not-so-well. The whole psychology of it fascinates me. And if I intend to share personal things and the inner workings of MY mind, the anonymity is advisable right now.

I won't commit to posting a certain amount, and absences may happen. Typos WILL occur- not because I don't care (when in reality I'm a pretty harsh spelling/grammar police myself), but because I rarely have time to do anything on an actual computer anymore and shockingly, iPhone's autocorrect is simply not as smart as a New York Times editor team quite yet.
Many sentences will run on for longer than I could in real life, and will be prone to weird "isms", such as: "adding ish, ly, y, to non-verby words ism" (thank you Joss Whedon for forever influencing the way I speak!).

Lastly, I make no promises to be even the slightest bit entertaining. Enjoy! Or, not enjoy, whatever... :)

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant! As expected. How do I make you promise to be consistent? (oh I know I live in a glass house!)
    Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete